Re: silly question

Paul E Condon wrote:

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:26:47AM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
On Friday 04 March 2005 04:48 am, Blake Swadling wrote:

next you'll be telling us that it is "aluminum" ... check the periodic
table ppl. there is a second letter 'i' in there somewhere

if you re going to nit pick about pronunciation you should be a little
more careful.
I confess I have never seen that particular version of the periodic table, but I agree with most of what you said.

8)

As I understand it, the Aluminum Corporation of America deliberately misspelled
the name of the metal in its corporate name. Americans accepted the new spelling
as a matter of national pride (of which we have a great deal). There was also
some nonsense about it being easier to pronounce, I think.

Sort of, but if the link below is right aluminum came first, until a union of chemists in the 1800's changed it to aluminium to match up with all the other -ium element names. Then in the early 1900's America decided to change back to Aluminum. The company started off as Pittsburgh Aluminium Company and renamed itself to Aluminum Company of America in 1907.

Maybe we should go back to alumen or alumine!

http://www.world-aluminium.org/history/language.html