Re: Loss of connectivity through NAT

On Thursday 03 March 2005 03:43 pm, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 15:38 -0500, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> --snip--
>
> > Additionally, on one machine running Gentoo, I lose NAT connectivity
> > semi-permanently.  If I check the interface, I can ping the local
> > inteface on the server but not the remote interface.  If I attempt to
> > ping, say, Google, I get DNS resolution through the same server as is
> > running NAT, but I get 100% packet loss.  All of the other machines
> > (there are three of them) still have connectivity through NAT.  If I take
> > the interface down and bring it back up (via ifconfig), I get my
> > connectivity back.  These symptoms make no
>
> --snip--
>
> Well, I'd start with examining your iptables setup. The first thing that
> I'd look at if I started losing packets would be my iptables setup. Once
> you're sure that that's not the problem, then move on to other things.

I'm familiar with but hardly an expert on iptables.  I installed the "nat"
package (which seems to have been replaced) and haven't manually modified the
tables.  I can't think of anything that could be wrong with them that would
cause intermittent problems like I'm experiencing.  If you're aware of
something I'm missing, I'd love to hear it.