Volume Control buttons not working after kernel upgrade

I'm running sid on my laptop, with a custom 2.6.9 kernel. Everything works fine.

I've now compiled a 2.6.10 kernel, using the existing 2.6.9 config and "make oldconfig". Compilation was uneventful, and the laptop boots into 2.6.10 with no errors.

I'm running alsa, and under 2.6.9, I could adjust the volume either with software (alsamixer, xfce4 volume control) or with hardware (Fn+PgUp/Fn+PgDn, or dedicated Volume Control buttons). Under 2.6.10, software volume control is fine, but if I try either of the hardware options, the machine locks up hard, and needs a reboot. After reboot, I can't see anything useful in the logs.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Tom K