Re: X config not written

Hello

Matt Price (<matt.price@utoronto.ca>) wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:27:21PM +0100, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>>

>>>IMHO, it is a bug. Because I tried lots of things before putting
>>>this on the list: one was to remove /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>>>entirely. And even then a new file did not appear.
>>>
>>>The question is: if it is a bug, then of what? dpkg? dexconf?
>>>xserver?
>>
>> In my ignorant opinion, xserver, because that'll have to be modified
>> to fix the problem.
> just wanted to chip in and say I also think it's a bug -- esp if you
> forget that you've modified your XF86Config-4 manually!  presumably
> this is a simple thing to fix, though I guess I deserve to be flamed
> for saying that without volunteering to fix it myself...

You can discuss whether it is a bug or not if the file has been removed.
If it has been changed manually, it is /necessary/ that it is not
overwritten. I remember that some months ago XFree in Woody was
updated, and plenty of people came here because their XFree didn't work
anymore. The reason was that their configuration had been changed back
to the answers from the debconf database, deleting the manual changes.
This behaviour is documented in the configuration file itself, and in
the Debian X FAQ.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270