Re: Qmail-Toster Backup/Restore.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, kernel wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I have installed a Qmail-Toaster Mail Server in ma office, I have
> recieved a new machine for Mail Server " with all different Specs, as
> compaire to current Mail Server Machine". I want to migrate all
> accounts and mails to new machine.  :(
>
> I cant find any Backup and Restore Procedure for it. please help me
> out, that how can I replace old machine with new one. (if any howto is
> available)
>
> Step-wise procedure is highly appriciated :)

1.  Hire somebody that you can "shoot" if something goes wrong

	- this whole process is roughly about 1hr each step ...
	but the work is done over a week or two

2.  assuming, you and the company is willing to take the risk of email not
    working for a while, you should do some basic stuff in the proper
    sequence

	- make a 100% backup of the current system

	- save the current disk ... onto another disk

3.  setup the "new toaster" best you know how
	- create your own acct to the new toaster
	- send yourself emails
	- reply to your own emails
	- repeat from your gmail.com acct

	- move your real acct to new toaster and try to send/
	receive your real emails

	- study the config of the old mail server ( disk )
	and merge the critical email related files into the new toaster

4.  add antispam and antivirus and any other mail goodies you want
	- harden the mail server so that its not hackable
	( lots o tricks to do and not do )

	- setup your new autoresponders  ( info@.... abuse@ ..
	webmaster@.. )

5.  move some of the smarter folks from the old mail server to the
    new mail server  and take a vacation for 2-3 days or be available
    24x7 for 2-3 days ( make the changes on sunday to give yourself time )

	- now is a good time to change from pop3 to secure pop3,
	or secure imap

	- now is a good time to get rid of support for win95/win98 based
	mail programs that people are still using

6.  after a week of trouble free operation, move the rest of the company
    to the new server

7.  keep the old mail server as a backup to the new mail server

c ya
alvin