Re: RAID-5 booting problem L 80 80 80...

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Manudath Gurudatha wrote:

> I desperately needed some direction here...

me too :-)

> I have a RAID-5 system with 3 SCSI drives and (was) running Debian
> before it was hit by power outage.

dont do that ...

use at least 4 disks for raid5 .. :-)

> I suspect the first drive is damaged but the 2nd drive is fine and the
> third also might be ok, which gives me some hope to recover the data.

if the 3rd disk is in fact working ... you might be okay ..

if the 3rd disk is bad ... reformat and start over and learn the hard way
	==
	== make backups of any/all raid data... it is not fool proof
	==

> When I connect all the 3 drives and try to boot from the 2nd drive
> (which 'seems' to be ok to me), I get this error "L 80 80 80..."
> continuosly while booting.

boot from anything else that understands raid and has "rescue" mode
that you can do stuff without being forced to install the cd
	- boot cd
	- boot fd
	- network boot
	- usb boot
	- ...

- rebuild your raid if you have to manually with mdadm

- if you are using hardware raid ... throw the hardware raid card away
  as it should have protected your disk from the power outage

> I want to know if I can do something to boot this system, or I should
> call the data experts (as a last resort)

don't bother with the "data experts" .. there is nothing they can do
if 2 of the 3 disks is bad

> I am trying hard to get any kind of info with this problem and RAID-5,
> but I couldnt get anything decent. Any help is greatly appreciated.

try harder ( smarter ) :-)
	- where did you look .. what was the keywords you searched
	against

lilo booting "80 80 80" problems has nothing to do with raid

tons of info on how to build and boot a raid system even if
lilo/grub/et.al will not boot

all booting problems can be eliminated by booting off some other
boot media

c ya
alvin