APC UPS CS500 won't switch on again

I recently bought an APC CS500 UPS to protect my Debain mailserver
from powerfailures. I installed apcupsd, configured it and tested it.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure whether it's a faulty UPS or
perhaps a software configuration mistake. I'm hoping someone here has
the same UPS and a similar setup. My problem:

When I pull the plug, the following happens:
1) The UPS switches to battery mode;
2) I get a warning on my mailserver's terminal that the UPS is running
on battery;
3) some seconds later, I get another warning that there's a power
failure;
4) 60 seconds after '2', the server starts to shut down (60 seconds
defined by the TIMEOUT setting from apcupsd)
5) server switches off;
6) about a minute after '4', the UPS switches off completely (as if I
pushed the power button)

Now, when I put the mains voltage back on again, nothing happens. The
UPS does not switch on so also the server does not switch on (it's
configured/tested to restart after AC power loss). I've waited 15
minutes to be sure, but it doesn't switch back on again.

If I restore the mains voltage between '3' and '4', it works
correctly: UPS switches from battery back to normal operation.

I don't know if it's relevant, but when I execute apcaccess to get the
statusinfo, the following is reported:
LINEV    : 000.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :  21.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 095.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  28.2 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 20 Percent
MINTIMEL : 10 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 60 Seconds
OUTPUTV  : 230.0 Volts
DWAKE    : 000 Seconds
DSHUTD   : 000 Seconds
LOTRANS  : 000.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 256.0 Volts
(only part of the report copied&pasted)

I find the report for LINEV and LOTRANS odd. I've adjusted the
sensitivity to 180/266V, HITRANS is then changed to 266 but LOTRANS is
always 0V.

My /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf (commentary removed):
UPSNAME MvA_UPS
UPSCABLE usb
UPSTYPE usb
LOCKFILE /var/lock
ONBATTERYDELAY 6
BATTERYLEVEL 20
MINUTES 10
TIMEOUT 60
ANNOY 60
ANNOYDELAY 60
NOLOGON disable
KILLDELAY 0
NETSERVER on
NISIP 0.0.0.0
NISPORT 3551
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
EVENTSFILEMAX 10
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable
STATTIME 0
STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0

Possible explanations:
a) I misunderstood everything, the UPS is not supposed to switch
automatically back on again; (I'm definitely a newbee on UPS-es so I
keep my options open)
b) UPS is defective;
c) USB cable is defective;
d) configuration of apcupsd not completely correct;

Sorry for the lengthy message, but better complete than short. Anyone
who can comment on this?
--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com