Re: Aptitude suddenly tries to remove almost everything!

On 17 Feb 2005, Steve Block wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:39:45AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >When I ran aptitude today it suddenly wanted to remove dozens of vital
> >applications. I therefore purged aptitude and reinstalled it, following
> >which it behaved rationally again. I've had this once or twice before.
> >It makes me think that apt-get is probably safer.
>
> If aptitude is doing this it tends to be due to an inconsistent package
> cache. Rather than purging aptitude, try moving its cache file somewhere
> else and rerunning it. Rename or move the file
> /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates and rerun aptitude.
>
> I ran into this problem once, and removing that file fixed it. Since
> then I use wajig and aptitude frequently and interchangably, and haven't
> had any issues.
>
> --
> Steve Block
> http://ev-15.com/
> http://www.steveblock.com/
> scblock@ev-15.com

Thanks for this suggestion; I'll keep it in mind for if/when it happens
again. I've also been trying out wajig recently and it looks pretty good
so I may well do the same as you.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  blog, book reviews, electronic