Re: AMD 64 Recommendations

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Tong wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:29:07 +0000, d3c3it-linux wrote:
>
> > [...] so ive come to this
> > point wondering if i do get an amd 64, if i run the kernel in 64bit can
> > i run the rest of the system in 32bit.

what does this mean? "running kernel in 64bit and rest of the system in 32bit"? Does it mean, that i386 debian distribution with 64bit kernel-image package is installed? For example i386 sid with amd64-k8 kernel-image package?

So I will tell you, maybe there is no problem, but I can surely tell you. I installed 64bit kernel-image (amd64-k8) and stopped right there, because I didn't manage to compile nvidia kernel module. So I switched back to k7 kernel-image. With k7, there is
no problem but 64bits are unused. Even folks on #debian-amd64 and #nvidia channel wasn't able to help me, so I filed a bug against nvidia-kernel package. I switched back to k7 kernel-image and now outstanding 64bit architecture has no use for me.

Maybe you can switch to amd64 distro but it is not official yet. So you must decide, whether you accept lack of support and that you will have to play with not supported software, e.g. OO.org, flash plugins and similar. Thats all.

I use my system as a desktop system. So I bought 64bit architecture because I thought that my kernel will use 64bits. This is enough in my case, because is the major performance hit in such a system.

> According to the doc, there is no problem. Check out here.

and therefore, I think "there is no problem" is pretty strong

--
Nalevajko Tomas

e-mail: nalevajk@dcs.fmph.uniba.sk
homepage: www.dcs.fmph.uniba.sk/~nalevajk