Re: AMD 64 Recommendations

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:29:07 +0000, d3c3it-linux wrote:

> [...] so ive come to this
> point wondering if i do get an amd 64, if i run the kernel in 64bit can
> i run the rest of the system in 32bit.

According to the doc, there is no problem. Check out here.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=12337

But mind you, it is not a big deal running 64b or 32b in other distros
like RedHat or slackware, but in Debian it is a *big* hassle.

> I would be running on
> sarge/testing. If this is going to throw up issues id downgrade to maybe
> a septron. But i really would like to future proof to some point.

IIRC, amd 64 only available in unstable. But I also notice people talking
about amd64 on sarge/testing. Better confirm that first.

IMHO, the 64b Debian is not usable yet. I tried the ubuntu first, but
gave up very soon because of lack of support and user community...