AMD 64 Recommendations

Hi everyone
This is just a quick query regarding AMD 64. Im looking at rebuilding my
file server at home (currently serving samba, imap mail via
fetchmail > exim 4 > spamassasin > courier, lamp (apache, mysql, php),
icecast, apt-cacher. I also use it to play videos/dvds onto my tv. So
far ive got a 733, 384mb ram, 120gb hdd, dvd drive, nvidia mx440.

Currently i've not got no backup devices so my plan at first was to get
a raid 0 setup (using a Adaptec 1210SA card) and 2 200gb maxtor drives.
I know this would only be software raid (but cheapest option) but then i
started looking at upgrading the rest of the system, so ive come to this
point wondering if i do get an amd 64, if i run the kernel in 64bit can
i run the rest of the system in 32bit. I would be running on
sarge/testing. If this is going to throw up issues id downgrade to maybe
a septron. But i really would like to future proof to some point.

So im kinda of at a what should i do point. Any advice is greatly
welcome.

Cheers

Glyn Tebbutt