Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Feb 09 2005, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Firewire devices are, at least in Brazil.

> Are you talking about devices or controllers? I have both and I also live
> here in Brazil (in Guarulhos/São Paulo, to be more specific).

Device as in "not a controller"...

> The cost of a vanilla controller was approximately the same as the cost of
> a vanilla USB2 controller.

Yes.  I think that still holds, a USB2 and a Firewire-2 card are about the
same price in most shops.

> That's not to mention the headaches with usb-storage when transferring
> large amounts of data...

Never had any problems with usb-storage, but this is a kernel/controller
issue I think.  And the USB subsystem has received a damn big number of
fixes both in the 2.4 and 2.6 trees in the last year.

My pet peeve with USB _support_ in Linux is that sometimes the !@#$ kernel
will stop noticing changes on my EHCI/UHCI devices, so I have to remove the
modules and reload them to get everything working again.   I am almost sure
this is the kernel's fault.

> > I hope this changes, though. And if it does, I will buy Firewire devices
> > instead of USB2 ones.
>
> Indeed, that's a good decision, IMO. I don't know if USB devices (1.x or 2)
> support DMA. Please someone educate me here.

Depends on the controller, I think.  Let me have a quick look on the Intel
82801EB/ER USB datasheet (onboard EHCI USB2 controller of my D875PBZ with 8
USB2 ports)... Yep, it can do PCI Busmaster operations (PCI DMA), in USB1
AND USB2 modes.  Intel claim it is able to transfer the full 480Mbit/s on
EHCI mode.

> Given that my motherboard didn't have any USB2 port (but it does have USB
> 1.1 ports) and that I would have to choose between a Firewire card and an
> USB 2 card, I chose the former and am happy with it since I purchased it.

If your devices are both USB2 and Firewire, Firewire is clearly the way to
go :-)

  Henrique Holschuh