Re: sarge installation with kernel 2.6.8

(...)On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:16:04AM -0500, Lei Kong wrote:

> >From: Sam Watkins <swatkins@fastmail.fm>
> >To: Ray Kong <leikong@msn.com>
> >CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: sarge installation with kernel 2.6.8
> >Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:07:27 +1100
> >
> >On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 05:49:55PM -0500, Ray Kong wrote:
> >> I came back the latest office sarge netinstall cd image today, tried to
> >> install kernel 2.6 in the very beginning. In both linux26 and expert26
> >> mode, the cdrom cannot be detected.
> >
> >You don't need to use linux26 or expert26 mode to install a 2.6 kernel.
> >These just choose the kernel that the installer will run with.  Install
> >with a 2.4 kernel and then upgrade to a 2.6 one using apt-get or
> >aptitude or whatever.  I recommend to use grub rather than lilo, it's
> >easier to install new kernels.
>
> Finally, I got it working, thanks for your suggestion.

Since I have been having similar problems, I would appreciate it if you could mention which modules you used to configure the kernel for SATA. Despite many tries with various combinations of drivers, I have yet to succeed in getting full SATA support for a relatively new Dell 8400 dimension and have been going with PATA.
Thanks
Peter