Re: ADSL Gateway with dhcp, masquerading, web filtering onto wireless gateway

--- Timie Milie <milstead@compsci.bristol.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I have been asked to setup a system for a church.
> They currenly have an oldish dell desktop running
> windows.
> I am thinking of putting Debian on it.
> They have the following requirements.
>
> o Connected to the internet via ADSL. The
> subscription (probably Wanadoo
> in the UK) will come with a cheap USB adsl modem
> which for cost reasons
> I would like to use. Is this sensible?
There is not special issues if your usb port is
already detected.

> o Internet accessible file storage. I can only think
> of running a FTP
> server, but aren't these insecure? Do they still use
> plain text
> passwords? I want to avoid SCP since windows users
> can't access it
> without downloading more software. FTP can be
> accessed through their
> existing file browsers.
You can also use sftp that comes with ssh is not so
dificult to use and the information travel encrypted.
And all you need to install in their systems is
putty.exe that is a very tiny file.
google for putty

> o Is Debian sarge okay or should I really stick with
> woody? They might
> want to still do some desktop work on the machine
> and Gnome 1.4 really
> isn't that great.
I personally prefer xfce4 try it is really cool and is
very stable also keeps your system fast.

> o Gateway to a wireless network. I have a cheap
> wireless gateway to
> connect to the ethernet port of the Dell. What
> packages should I install
> to get masquerading, dhcp, etc
You must install have in your kernel iptables for
masquerading, dhcp package with aptitude or apt.
The wireless depends on which card you have, but
debian recognize everithing during installation.

> o Web filtering. I assume I should use squid and
> some filter plug-in. Or
> perhaps there is some free proxy out on the internet
> somewhere? Can I
> lock all html stuff on the computer and the wireless
> subnet to go
> through the proxy wherever it is? I don't want users
> to bypass the filter.
Squid is an excellent choise, Squid with iptables can
do several good things. Also read the mini howto of
transaparent proxy.

> Advice about recommended packages to install and
> howtos for
> configuration would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim.
Try the kernel 2.6.8  and also go to www.tldp.org
always is worthy.

Regards.

=====
--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)