Re: aptitude vs. apt-get

On Thursday 03 February 2005 13:03, Rob Brenart (TT)
<Rob.Brenart@tradingtechnologies.com>
(<[🔎] 8F544985CD5FE24897B348C98832060222B720@chiex01.int.tt.local>) wrote:

> aptitude vs. apt-get

To be or not to be; that is the question.

> But I've been using apt-get & dselect in combination for some time now,
> will switching to aptitude cause me problems?

No.  I used both apt-get and Synaptic before switching to aptitude.

> Will using aptitude and apt-get interchangeably cause me problems?

Aptitude tracks automatically installed packages and apt-get doesn't, so
when you use them both, aptitude doesn't know about packages apt-get
installed automatically.  This, by itself, is enough to make me stay with
aptitude; would it be a problem for you?

> Or are they really just different interfaces to the same system and I'll
> be ok?

Sort of but not exactly: