Re: aptitude vs. apt-get

On Thursday 03 February 2005 14:03, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:

> But I've been using apt-get & dselect in combination for some time now,
> will switching to aptitude cause me problems? Will using aptitude and
> apt-get interchangeably cause me problems?

I started using aptitude as an exact command-line replacement for apt-get
about a year ago and have never had a single problem.

> Or are they really just different interfaces to the same system and I'll
> be ok?

More or less.  Aptitude has the additional advantage that it remembers which
packages were installed at your request instead of as dependencies, and can
automatically remove those dependencies if you uninstall the packages that
caused them to be installed.  Plus, aptitude's curses interface is
infinitely better than dselect by just about any standard.
--
Kirk Strauser