Re: Stupid newbie question...

From:
Kent West <westk@acu.edu>
Date:
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:21:41 -0600

To:
debian-user@lists.debian.org

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah wrote:

Hey
I am COMPLETELY new to linux but I've used a Knoppix bootable cd and
have instantly fallen in love. Even from cd my system runs
considerably faster than with xp.

Having said this, I want to install debian but don't want to monkey
around with the partitions on my existing C drive. Is it possible to
install a second hard drive and run  two os's that way? Meaning, to
set it up so that I can boot my computer and get the option of either
running my windows os on my windows hard disc or my debian os on my
debian hard disc.

You can do this quite easily. It's called dual-booting. Google for "linux" and "dual boot" and you'll find more hits than you'll know what to do with.

Just install the second hard drive, grab the 100MB or so net-installer for Sarge from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/, and get started.

--
Kent West
Technology Support

My Gateway 500 is running Windows 98SE with a 13 GB drive. When I nearly filled it up, a 160 GB Western Digital drive was installed as a slave drive. After partitioning the WD drive with a utility off the Western Digital website, I installed Woody off CDROM's. LILO lets me choose between Windows 98SE on the first drive and Debian woody GNU/Linus on the second drive.

So have at it and let us know how you do! Sarge might be a better choice than Woody if you have broadband or DSL. Someone has already posted about where to get the net installation CDROM image for Sarge. Anyway, read the HowTo's first to get a good idea of what you want to do!

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless, registered Linux user number 365760.
Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown