Re: Old post: Writing to SMB share fails from some applications

On (02/02/05 11:40), Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi Clive,
>

> I've found your post on the debian list, but I found no follow up to
> it. I would like to know if you have more info about the problem. It
> seems that we've ran in the same problem here with Ubuntu (a
> Debian-based distro) & Open Office. Any information is valuable.
>
> I found your original message at this location:
> http://groups.google.com.br/groups?selm=3arlv-4Sm-13%40gated-at.bofh.it&output=gplain
Hi Carlos

Ah! That was a while ago and I gave up, reverting to nfs.  Then about 3
weeks ago I took delivery of a new laptop and thought I'd try again.

Following spotting something about smbfs being deprecated in favour of
cifs, I installed the cifs kernel module (using modconf in debian) and mounted
the shares as cifs instead of smbfs.  I did this last week and it's been
working fine since then.

I tried using smb4k but it still seems erratic in behaviour so now I
mount the shares by including them in the /etc/fstab.  My set-up is
complicated by running OpenOffice in a 32bit chroot (the laptop runs
amd64) and so I also bind the samba shares to the chroot so that
openoffice can open them.

I downloaded xsmbrowser yesterday and have being playing with it.  It is
too early to tell whether it will prove sufficiently reliable to be able
to mount shares as required rather than on boot.

I'm cc'ing the list for information.

Regards

Clive

--