RE: My boss want to kill debian, please help !

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Michael Sims wrote:
>> Sorry if I've missed this in the archives, but could you elaborate
>> on how the e100's are problematic?  Or point me to a resource that
>> explains it? I'd appreciate it...
>
> Older ones (and it IS difficult to make sure you're not getting one in
> certain places of the world) had hardware problems, which caused
> lockups for example.  The driver compensates for this, but it really
> is a pain on high packet load.

Thanks for the information; that's very interesting.  The reason I say that is I've
had a couple of my Linux servers in the past give me unexplained lockups that tended
to occur about once every 8 weeks or so.  These servers were using e100's and I
never was able to track down the problem.

I've since upgraded all of my servers where I work and now I have two remaining
servers using e100's.  One is on Sarge using the e100 driver, and the other is on
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 (required for a support contract on our SAN
connectivity) using one of their drivers that they've called "e100_2124k2".  Neither
of them have given me any problems yet, but they've only been running about 4 weeks.
I won't feel confident in them until I've passed the 8-10 week point without a
lockup.

If you were in my shoes, would you be replacing these NIC's?  Do you have any
pointers to resources that document these hardware problems?  It would be a nice
thing to show my boss to justify shelling out the cash for a couple of e1000's...

Thanks again...