Re: Websec

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 10:21, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, David Baron wrote:
> > I am trying to use this to monitor a few websites, running as a daily
> > cron.
>
> tar zcvf /mnt/floppy/website.tgz
>
> --------
>
> via cron ( once a minute .. once an hour ... however long it takes
> for the cracker to deface the site )
>
>  mount /dev/floppy
>
>  tar zdvf /mnt/floppy/website.tgz
>
>  if ( $? == error )
>    mail -s "website changed"  d_baron@012.net.il
>
> etc...

That is if these sites are on my server. I am talking about sites elsewhere so
would require downloading everything first. Websec (off Sid) keeps the
previous version around for you and compares from the URL.

(IBM once had a cute one that worked off Netscape bookmarks. Added a tiny icon
for connect speed alerted changed sites. But as its database grew, one's
computer slowed to a crawl. Was alpha software, probably Java.)