RE:[SOLVED] Dell PowerEdge 2850 kernel panic.
> Michael Bellears wrote:
> > Debian-Installer RC2 (Downloaded 28/12/2004).
> > 3 x 72.8 SCSI drives in Raid 5.
> > Install successfully detects raid controller, and allows
> > and installs boot-loader(Grub) successfully - but upon
> reboot, I get a
> > kernel panic:
> > Pivot_root: No such file or directory
> > /sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: no such file
> Kernel panic:
> > Attempted to kill init!
Basically, D-I does not load the megaraid2 module, so first reboot fails
with the above.
- Prior to first reboot of D-I Installer (Just before Grub/Lilo
section), I alt+F2 to get a new console, then chroot'd into /target
- Then added megaraid2 to /etc/mkinitrd/modules
- mount -tproc none /proc
- cp /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-I-386 /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-I-386.ORIG
- mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-I-386 (Makes new initrd image)
- exit from chroot
- alt+F1 to get back to installed screen
- Run lilo step (Or Grub)
- Reboot, and all is good.
Thanks to Eric for his assistance.