Re: Wanting to use a gui with Debian.

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 11:36 -0600, Kent West wrote:
Patrick J. Farhar escribió:

I have installed Debian and want to use a gui to install other packages such as Squid. My purpose is use the server for caching web pages. I am NEW to linux and do not know how to make Debian give me a gui interface at boot.
Try "apt-get install x-window-system kde kdm synaptic".

This should install a basic X Window System, with the KDE environment (lots of bells and whistles, so hope you have plenty of horse power / RAM), and the KDM graphical login manager which will start the gui at boot. It'll also install Synaptic, which is a gui front-end to apt.

Remember, this is going to be a server.

Yeah, I thought about warning him of the pitfalls of having unneeded stuff on a server, but he said he was "NEW" to Linux, so I figured at this stage he's more interested in having something "familiar" than having something "safe". I also assumed that his server was not going to be mission-critical, or he wouldn't be doing it with an OS with which he's unfamiliar.

Having said that, I agree with Ron; Patrick, you should save the GUIs for workstation use, and keep your servers simpler.

--
Kent