Re: Debian Install: EN 2000 PnP network Card

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:43:51 -0500, Roberto Sanchez
<roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
> Quoting James Cummings <cummings.james@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I'm trying to install debian on an old machine with a
> > windows network card.  The card says on it:
> >
> > EN2000 PnP
> > but also:
> > "Win 95 Plug & Play"
> >
> > I believe this means it is probably impossible to get working.  When I
> > boot off my install floppies (current unstable installer) it doesn't
> > detect a network card.
> >
> > In another console more /proc/pci doesn't list anything that looks
> > promising either.
> >

> > Should I just give up?
> >
> I would not give up just yet.  But it will be difficult for anyone to help
> without more details.  What is the output of 'lspci -vvv'?  Also, which
> version of the Debian installer are you using?

I'm using http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/

Now, the output of lspci is impossible to give you since lspci isn't
provided with the shell that those boot floppies provide.  However,
here is the content of /proc/pci/ after boot-up.  (This was
complicated to get as well, since the machine isn't connected to the
network, copied it to a floppy, and then onto another machine, since
the laptop I'm posting this from doesn't have a floppy drive *Sigh*)

pci
--------------
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5591/5592 Host (rev 2).
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf8000000 [0xfbffffff].
  Bus  0, device   0, function  1:
    IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 208).
      Master Capable.  Latency=128.
      I/O at 0x4000 [0x400f].
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513 (rev 1).
  Bus  0, device   1, function  1:
    Class ff00: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] ACPI (rev 0).
  Bus  0, device   2, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 530 Virtual
PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP) (rev 0).
      Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=10.
  Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Communication controller: ESS Technology ES2898 Modem (rev 2).
      IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0xdff0 [0xdff7].
  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 4).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      I/O at 0xdf80 [0xdf9f].
  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326
5598/6326 (rev 11).
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=2.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf7000000 [0xf77fffff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf79f0000 [0xf79fffff].
      I/O at 0xcc80 [0xccff].
---

Just doesn't seem to see the network card at all...

:-(

Thanks for any sugestions,
-James

--
James Cummings, Cummings dot James at GMail dot com