Re: devices vaporise ? sda*

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:37:35 -0600

> > I wonder, and I don't want to quarrel at all, about Aunt Tilly. I'm
> > not, I simply apt-get install udev; no warning (not that I saw); and
> > my X is gone
>
> Your GUI "disappeared"???????

Exact same thing happened to me this morning. I installed udev yesterday
in an attempt to get something else working and when I booted up this
morning X refused to start.

Error logs reported:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

So I removed udev and now X works just dandy.

So yes, my GUI "disappeared" too.

And until I fully understand what udev does and why it seems to stop so
many things from working, it's going to remain uninstalled.