No longer able to log in.

OK.  I have encountered a very annoying problem.  This morning, before heading
off to school, I logged into my machine (running Sarge) and printed something
(a couple of pages from a PDF through xpdf).  I promptly logged out and then
noticed I forgot to check my email.  When I tried to log back in, I gdm
appeared
to take a very long time.  The mouse cursor would disappear over the password
entry field.  Long story short, I killed X with Ctrl-Alt-Bksp and it did not
return.  I switched to tty1 and tried to login.  No joy.  The login there would
also hang, but I could kill it with a ctrl-C.  I also cannot SSH into the
machine.

The mahcine has not been sending its regular logcheck emails, so something
may be seriously wrong.  But, on the other hand, the keyboard still works
and I can attempt a login (though it hangs) and switch tty's.

I suspect that a hard boot may fix the problem, but I am hesitant to take the
Microsoft approach unless I have no other choice.

-Roberto