Sound and print problems

OK, I was in a hurry this morning and did something stupid. Debian Sid; I did
an apt-get upgrade to look at what was available for upgrade. I usually
answer "No" on continue, but wasn't paying attention and told it to do the
upgrade. I'm admitting carelessness and falling on the mercy of the court.

That said, after it finished the upgrade, I found myself with two problems.
First, KDE programs (KMail, KEdit, etc) no longer see my CUPS printers. To
KDE, it's as if no printers were attached to my computer. Other applications
(such as OpenOffice) have no problem with the printers at all.

Secondly, I've lost sound (I have  a Soundblaster Live on my computer.)

Can anyone suggest a way to get them back?