Re: Debian on an old PC

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:06:07 CST, Jacob S writes:
>> I need some advice. Is debian fit for a Pentium 100MHz PC with 16MB
>> RAM and approx 4Gb harddisk? Are there anyone who has experience with
>> such a slow machine running debian (or any other linux dist)?

16 MB RAM is ok, provided you don't want anything (graphically) fancy.
 But for, say, fvwm2, mutt and a couple xterms it should be usable.

>I'm currently using a Pentium 133Mhz with a 3GB hard drive for my
>firewall. It does, however, have 64MB of ram instead of 16MB.

Heh. I have a 386 with 4 MB RAM as a firewall ;) (although getting
 Woody on it was quite an adventure, as the installer alone needs more
 memory).

>You could probably use your computer for similar purposes, though I
>would recommend trying to get a little more ram in it. You could
>also use it as a dumb terminal for running off a terminal server.

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /