sarge dist-upgrade today, no more keyboard

Sorry if this has been covered, search function gets no result...
I have been running sarge flawlessly since May 2004, doing regular apt-get dist-upgrades.
Today, dist-upgrade included over 100 MBs of mostly KDE stuff, and others... anyway it finished without errors, when I rebooted, the keyboard doesn't work.
It will work if I boot to recovery mode. It also still works under XP.
I have done dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to no avail.
If you can help I will appeciate it.
Thanks