Re: Why My Modem is confuse, including me ?

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 13:28 +0500, Nayyar Ahmed wrote:

> When I connect Internet via any ISP it shows me 9.6k
> connection speed, even I have tried it in all O.S in my BOX
> but it give me same speed on Debian,FC3, M$ Window.
>
> I have discussed it with ISP and even with Telephone providers,
> ISP Admin say's that your telephone line may have some problem
> and Telephone provider say's your telephone line is ok.
>
> I wounder who is eating those remaining byte :)

Telco's definition of an OK voice phone line is not at all the same as a
modem's. It's quite possible for your line to be good enough to pass
telco's tests for a voice line, but still noisy enough make a modem give
up on trying to run at high speed. And since there's a pair of wires
dedicated to your house, canceling the phone and installing a new one
would probably change nothing.

I'd suggest trying again next door on a different line. That might not
work either because, down the street, both lines are probably in the
same cable.

There's always DSL or cable or ISDN. These are *supposed* to carry
digital data. ISDN isn't much, but it's a breath of fresh air after
being used to dialup -- and telco takes it seriously.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com