Need help with building secure web proxy...

I recently build a Debian woody box (I've had previous experience with
Debian Woody so Debian is not new to me) for use as a web proxy server,
but I also want to make it secure (requires username).  It was built via
http via floppy and only has what the installer includes.

I tried squid, but I must be missing something because after I apt-get
installed it, using the default settings and setting http on, I could not
get mozilla from an external site to successfully proxy through.  The
error I get is:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.cnet.com/

The following error was encountered:

    * Access Denied.

      Access control configuration prevents your request from being
allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel
this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

I then thought about ipchains/iptables, but I don't know of any way to
protect it (again, require username authentication).

Thanks.

Scott