Re: 2 GB RAM support in woody

> > >  2nd, if you want to use kernel that comes with
> > > stable, install package
> > > kernel-source-2.4.18 and recompile it with
> highmem
> > > enabled. I wouln't
> > > recommend package from kernel.org as Debian
> kernel
> > > include some patches
> > > and security back-ports. Otherwise you have to
> stay
> > > on latest kernel (if
> > > you don't want local kernel exploits) and
> recompile
> > > everytime new kernel
> > > gets out.
> >
> > The latest kernel version in kernel.org for 2.4.x
> > series is 2.4.28. But the debian stable kernel
> version
> > is 2.4.18.
>
>   The latest kernel on kernel.org is 2.4.28 indeed.
> The debian stable
> choosed kernel 2.4.18 as kernel for woody release.
> So debian's kernel
> 2.4.18 includes security patches for exploits found
> in kernels 2.4.19,
> .20, etc.
>
>   Kernel 2.4.18 does support highmem, but debian's
> package is compiled
> without highmem support. So you have two options:
>
> 1st.
> Recompile debian's 2.4.18 kernel with highmem
> support, keep eye on
> debian-security-announce list and whenever kernel
> 2.4.18 gets updated
> recompile it.
>
> 2nd.
> use latest kernel from kernel.org compiled with
> highmem support and
> recompile it whenever security hole is discovered.
>

> > Is there any lack in this?
>
> --
> Alexei Chetroi

I have done recompile using kernel-source-2.4.18 and
after reboot I got the following error

EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory: 288k freed
kernel panic no init found , try passing init= option
to kernel

How to solve this problem? Please help me

Sarav