Re: Debian and Dell?

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 08:30 pm, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just purchased a Dell for my home office and am interested in using
> Debian on a partition. As my only Linux experience comes from a Mac, I
> have some questions:
>
> 1) Will I be able to easily dual-boot Windows or Linux using yaboot, or
> will I need to go through some BIOS mumbo-jumbo?
>
> 2) Does Debian support the Dell flatscreen monitors?
>
> 3) Does the i86 side of Debian better support Web graphics and animation
> formats -- such as shockwave?
>
> Thanks for the answers.
>
> Ed

You might want to check out:  http://linux.dell.com/

They do have a section about Debian (under Distributions).

Answers:
1.  Should be able to using either lilo or grub bootloaders (same concept as
yaboot) to select which OS you want to boot.

2.  More than likely, but you should probably check the above website.

3.  Yes but that has more to do with outside parties that provide the non-free
binaries such as shockwave.

Get the latest Sarge installer such as the netinst CD image for i386 found on:

After installation, submit an installer report even if you don't have any
problems.  Take a look at the documentation on the debian-installer web page
for help.  Specific installer problems can be directed to the debian-boot
mailing list.

John