Re: Sun (was Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows)

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Sam Watkins wrote:

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:55:55PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
being GPL is "dangerous" ... the big boyz with $$$ can do and will
do what they want with all the (free) r/d work for the past few decades
Huh?  I thought the GPL was supposed to protect against such!

gpl allows for commercial use ... originating authors get "credit"
but not the milllions of stock options that other people get to collect for being the CEO of a big wolf empire :-)

bad usage of gpl is what nvidia is doing and other binary only apps
where we are stuck and cannot fix the vendors problems without
source code

c ya
alvin

It allows for commercial use, but the GPL'd code has to stay open. You could make a product that was dependant on GPL'd code and have that be closed, but the GPL'd code can not be closed and is therefore still free.
Isn't it?
How would you fix a problem without source code? I think your point is that you can't.
I'm no expert.