Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows - good

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:

> This has been argues 100,000 times in the past 10 years.  One
> word: volunteers.  Two words: Open Source.

and will continue to be  "discussed"

> There are multiple projects for a bunch of reasons:
>
> "I can do a better job."
>
> "Having multiple competing projects is a *good* thing.  Compe-
> tition drives progress."

"good" competition is good ...

> "Your project is full of jackasses."

cracking up ... and i'd prefix it with "clueless"
	( clueless programmers :-)  or marketing/test/qa/etc..etc..

> "Project X doesn't do what *I* need done, and they won't accept
> my patches, for whatever good/bad/unknown reason, so I start my
> own project Y, either from scratch or by forking X."
>
> "We think that Project X is fundamentally flawed.  The current
> maintainer thinks it's great."
>
> "Project X's copyright owner just decided to relicense it in a
> non-free or non-DFSG manner, so we *must* either fork or begin
> from scratch."

i'm waiting for the next generation (non-linux) kernel to come out
that will fix the "linux kernel problems" which is growing into
giant monster, and it's approaching its "getting too old age"
at this point ( 13+ years ) .. most other kernels/os has long
since died off before it got to be 14yrs old

c ya
alvin