ISA sound card

I am trying to configure an OPL3SA2 sound card on a Toshiba Tecra 8000
laptop running Sarge. I have been told this is an ISA card. Three
questions.

1) Does the kernel have to be built to recognize an ISA PnP card? When
I installed isapnptools and did pnpdump to create an isapnp.conf file,
Sarge did not see any ISA devices.

2) Should I be able to send the irq and other parameters to the Alsa
OPL3SA2 driver without worrying about whether the machine knows about
the ISA devices? When I try to load the Alsa driver, which I know is
there, an error message reports the module is missing.

3) Any suggestions for clear, thorough sites on getting ALSA going on
Sarge and Woody?

Thanks,
Ted Parks