Re: Partition Resizing

Hello

Leonard Chatagnier (<lenc@ruralcomm.com>) wrote:

> Trying to upgrade to Sarge and discovered that on my last reinstall of
> woody that I switched the partition sizes on /var and /home.  Now /var
> is too small to hold packages when doing apt-get dist-upgrade.  My
> question is: Can I resize the partitions without losing data?  I have
> the Woody 7 CD install CD's and no Partition Magic.

I don't know if partition magic can resize the partitions wothout data
loss (even if it can, there is still the possibility that something
goes wrong). You probably only need much space during the upgrade to
Sarge, and you can remove the packages later from the cache, so the
easiest way probably is to make /var/cache/apt/archives a symlink to a
directory on a partition with sufficient space until you finished the
upgrade and cleaned the cache. Maybe there is also a configuration
option to tell apt to use another directory for the cache.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976