Re: GNOME File Association

Bruce Park wrote (11-12-2004 18:25):
René Seindal wrote:

Bruce Park wrote (11-12-2004 16:14):

Is it possible that GNOME 2.8 (or Debian for that matter) did away with the "File Association" application found on the Applications -> Desktop Preferences menu?

Yes it did,

Use "Open with other application" and type in the application you want to use.

It will be remembered for that file type afterwards.

I wonder, why was it removed? I do realize that once you associated an file to an application, it works fine but most of my original settings have been removed.

I think the idea was to move towards the freedesktop.org system, so application / mime / preferences can be shared between different desktops. It will make it a lot easier for applications to work with different desktops, if they can agree on some common conventions.

I don't think the idea is all bad, but a few things have been lost in the process. I used to have files with different defaults than that of the mime-type. I could do that in gnome 2.6, but not in 2.8.

Another minor thing with the new system is that you cannot enter a user readable name for a custom application. You just see the program name in the menu. To get around that I have to edit the .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications/ by hand.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)
Seindal Consult