Dallas Semiconductor Thermochron iButtons and tempature logging with Debian/Linux

Is there anybody on the list using or experimenting with Dallas Semiconductor IButtons? I recently ordered the DS9490B 1 wire USB bridge and a DS1921G-F5 Thermocron temperature logger. I am going to use the device to log temperatures throughout the duration of a few backpacking trips, with attention paid to outside temperature at night while trying several different sleeping bags.

There is a Dallas 1 Wire driver in kernel 2.6.9 that supports the EDS9490 USB bridge I purchased. I need recommendations on which program to use to set "missions" on this particular iButton, i.e telling the iButton at what intervals to record a temp. reading. There is a Debian package called digitemp, but the man page states that it will only read from a serial port type bridge, nothing about USB is mentioned.

Any success stories with these device would be appreciated.