pam db version for Debian vsftpd virtual users

Hi,

Hi, I followed the virtual users readme file
(/usr/share/doc/vsftpd/EXAMPLE/VIRTUAL_USERS/README.gz) to apply virtual
users for vsftpd.

The readme is well explained. I'm sure I've followed all the steps, though
there is one only thing I can't figure out, the pam db version:

The standard command is:

db_load -T -t hash -f logins.txt /etc/vsftpd_login.db

and the readme says "you may need to use e.g. db3_load for correct
operation. This is known to affect some Debian systems. "

Actually, I've tried both:

db3_load -T -t hash -f tf.txt /etc/vsftpd_login.db
db_load -T -t hash -f tf.txt /etc/vsftpd_login.db

but every time, I got Login failure.

Anyone has a confirmed answer?

How can I debug this pam db problem?

Thanks