Re: k3b won't fully ackowledge a friends CDR/CDRW

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:45:44 -0500
Douglas Ward <dwdraw@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Andrea Vettorello wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:31:11 -0800, Rodney D. Myers
> ><rdmyers@mtpalomar.net> wrote:
> >

> >>I have an elderly woman, whom I installed debian sarge for.
> >>
> >>She now has a cdrwriter installed on her computer, but it fails to
> >full>recognize it. it shows the writer as a reader under all user
> >>accounts,but not under root account.
> >>
> >>I'm working remotely, so it's a slow go process.
> >>
> >>I've set her k3b the same way as I've set up my version..
> >>
> >>I also setup xcdroast, and it successfully finds the reader & the
> >>writer.
> >>
> >>No matter what I try, I cannot get k3b to recognized the cdriter.
> >>
> >>In the config, it sows the writer as a reader, but it show it to be
> >able>to be write to cdrw, but not cdr
> >>
> >>This is the kernel she is running;
> >>uname -a
> >>Linux elkys-home 2.6.8-1-k7 #1 Thu Nov 11 12:47:56 EST 2004 i686
> >>GNU/Linux
> >>

> >Maybe reverting to kernel 2.6.7.
> >
> >I've no direct experience but If you look in the list you'll find
> >that others reported the same problem as there are some issues with
> >CD writing with 2.6.8 and 2.6.9.
> >

> >Andrea
> >

> The problem is certainly the 2.6.8.1 kernel. The 2.6.8 and 2.6.8.1
> kernels have known problems with CD writing (though the drive can be
> used for reading). Both .7 (testing/Sarge) and .9 (unstable) kernels
> are currently in apt repositories. Personally, I was unable to find a
> workaround for the .8 cd writing problem; I reverted to 2.6.7.  (This
> was before 2.6.9 was released; I now use 2.6.9 without cd writing
> problems.)

I did have her revert to 2.6.7

The problem(s) I had with the 2.6.9 kernels, were USB based. My pda/ and
external usb hard drive quit functioning.

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@MtPalomar.net>
Registered Linux User #96112

        Ben Franklin - 1759