dist-upgrade > broken modem

I'm at a bit of a loss here and looking for recommendations.

A few days back I did a dist-upgrade (2.6.7 --> 2.6.8-1) on SID and now I
can't get my modem to work. I use the wireless Ricochet service with a USB
Metricom modem. Currently /dev/modem is symlinked to /dev/ttyACM0, which
worked just fine prior to the upgrade but now wvdial is unable to
communicate with the modem.

USB looks hunky dory and both my USB mouse and mass storage devices have
continued working just fine. If I plug in the modem it shows up just as
expected in syslog, but wvdial (also kppp and gnome-ppp) complains about
being unable to open a connection with the modem. Running "wvdialconf
ricochet" produces:

 Port Scan<*1>: Scanning ttyACM0 first, /dev/modem is a link to it.
 ttyACM0<Info>: Invalid argument
 Port Scan<*1>: ACM0 S0
 ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
 ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
 ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
 Port Scan<*1>: S2   S3   S4

 <cut>

I've tried moving the modem among all of the available USB ports (no effect)
and checked that it still works from windows (it does). I'm at a bit of a
loss here. The modem has always "just worked" without any intervention
required, but now that it's broken I'm not at all sure what to do from
here.