Re: Debian Sid clean installation problem ?

Aleksic Predrag wrote:

Hello,

I have try to install Debian Sid from 15 cd`s i have buy somewhere on the net . When i boot from cd`s after couple of steps (language, keyboard map ...etc) i got to the end point "ash shell" which is quite wierd . Can somebody help me to finish installation , i have read similar threads and people proposition was to upgrade it from knopix or woody , i dont have any other distros or fast internet connection, just this 15 cd`s . Please point me to some tutorials , howtos or give me some advice and answers here .

I had this problem about two years ago when I tried an unofficial Debian Sid installer CD (all Sid CDs are "unofficial"); later I found out that the installer on that CD set was broken. It sounds like you've gotten hold of a very old set of Sid CDs.

If you have a slow Internet connection, you can either buy a more recent set of Sid CDs, or you can do a netinstall. I'd still rather do the net install over a slow connection than shop around and wait for a new set of CDs that work, but that might not be practical if you have metered access.

If you have a fast Internet connection (which you don't), I'd definitely recommend the netinstall.

Download the 100MB (or so) .iso file from http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ and burn it to CD; it'll be a Sarge installer, but once the base is installed you can change your sources.list file to get Sid instead of Sarge, and then finish the rest of the install from the network.

Alternatively, you can use the CDs you have, but you'll have to do some manual labor, including partitioning the drive with [c]fdisk, formatting the partitions with mkfs, copying the kernel over, setting up a boot loader, copying other files, creating/editing configuration files, etc etc etc. Trust me, if you're not already a semi-guru in Linux, you do NOT want to go this route.

--
Kent West
westk@acu.edu