Installing 2.6.9 Kernel

I am running Debian Unstable. Currentley I have the 2.4.27-1-386 debian default kernel installed. I want to install kernel 2.6.9 because it has support for certain features of my hardware. (such as my soundcard that is "disturbingly un-functional" in 2.4.27.

I have read through various sites about how to install kernels, but, I want to know what you think is the BEST option for installing.

(preferablly the EASIEST method as I have never installed a kernel before. I have been using debian for about 5 months, and three months ago i wiped winblows xp off my computer, so, i still have a LOT to learn.)

Thanks;
Shawn McCuan
mccuan@wave3.org