Re: debian and linus kernel, the difference??

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:09:45AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Mauro Darida wrote:
> >hello debianers,
> >I have always been wondering what is the difference between a fresh
> >kernel from linus and a debian kernel; I have always been using the
> >first one, maybe I have always been wrong?? No visible side effects
> >here, though...
> >Saluti, Mauro.

> In my case:

> linux-2.6.9.tar.bz2 +
> dpkg -i kernel-patch-debian-2.6.9_2.6.9-2_all.deb +
> run-parts /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.9/apply = kernel-source-2.6.9
>
> The patches are already present in kernel-source-2.6.9.

> In general I would run WITH the patches, since powers greater than I
> have decided they would be a good idea. Debian certainly is something
> greater than I ;-)

It's my understanding/assumption that the only difference between a
kernel.org kernel patched with kernel-patch-* and a kernel-source-* is
that the kernel-source version has some non-free stuff removed, but they
are otherwise identical, is that correct?

I'm currently using kernel.org kernels (still using 2.4's) with
kernel-patch.