Re: Full replacement of MS

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 04:54:45AM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:08:03PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:38:12PM -0600, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
> > >
> > I've used Linux virtually exclusively for ten years. About the only
> > thing I currently use MS Windows for is listening to the BBC, which uses
> > Real Player output.
>
> Hi Andrew, I have no problem using Realplayer for audio or video feeds
> in linux. I made oggs of the recent HHG radio show on the Beeb with the help of
> vsound. Not that hard to set it up.
> -Kev

I appreciate that.  If I'm going to have to keep a Windows machine
around

(a) so that I still have some current Windows experience
(b) to give my parents/guests/others something familiar
if they can't hack Linux and/or demonstrate Firefox/OpenOffice.org on
(c) as a double check on pages which are Internet Explorer only

then I might as well use it purely for Real Player.  All the mess of
Windows stays in one place: any audio downloads stay in one place.
vrms doesn't complain :)  Debian is about choice: in this limited
instance, I choose to use a non-free operating system on one machine and
accept the consequences. It also gives me a useful benchmark - 14
reboots for Windows XP, updates and antivirus install vs. 1 reboot for a
full Debian :)

Just my viewpoint - others vary on these things. I may also be
inconsistent - I regard nvidia drivers/ndiswrapper round Windows drivers
as non-free enough to annoy me but still run Windows on one box.

Andy