Linux Gaming (Was: Full replacement of MS)

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Monday 29 November 2004 5:31 pm, you wrote:
I agree I got fed up with WinXP and wiped it 3 months ago. There is very little you cant do on linux. the only thing that I miss is graphic-intensive gaming..

Same here. That's the only reason my game machine is Win2k as the primary boot instead of Linux.

Really? I haven't. I'm still bleary eyed from too much drinking and playing Unreal Tournament 2004 at the expense of sleep,

Ungh. They blew it with UT2004. Don't care for the game so them having a Linux version is worthless. :(

http://www.idsoftware.com/ is id Software's website. They've done a fantastic job supporting the Linux gamer, and they make getting quality games out to as many gamers as possible a priority.

Problem is most of their games suck. Of the latest batch of FPS games Doom3 was dead last. Half-Life 2 and Far Cry both put the final nail in the coffin of iD as anything more than a second rate game maker who happens to make aweseme game engines.

http://www.transgaming.com/ is the maker of Cedega, a Windows emulator geared towards gaming.

If you have nVidia. ATI, you're left in the cold. I bought a Transgaming subscription when they announced support for City of Heroes. It's not 3 months later and I've not played one second of City of Heroes. In fact I've not even made it to the login screen. I've complained about it several times and have gotten *no* answers to my problem.

Steam doesn't work so that leaves out Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2.

Thus far of all the games I've tried under Transgaming none have worked. Pretty much the common denominator for myself and others reporting problems with these games is that we have an ATI card.

I'd love nothing more than to switch to Linux for gaming. I'm willing to support Transgaming even with all their problems to do it. So far the handful of bargain bin FPS games that support Linux and gweled (love that game) aren't enough to get me to drop Windows.