Re: Full replacement of MS

ken keanon wrote:
I'm still toying with the idea of fully replacing Windows w Debian GNU/Linux. The doubt I am still having is this: will I be able to use all the data that I had created under Windows, those documents, emails, images, audios and videos? Anyone has done a complete and successful conversion? Will I have to start-off with a dual-OS system and do the conversion via the HD? Or should I carry out a MS Backup of all these data to a CD-RW and use it for the conversion under LInux? Would like to hear from you.

The only way to definatively answer your questions is to do it. Best bet is to make backups of all your important data in a neutral format (IE, directly to CDs, for example) and put Linux on the machine to see what it can do. That can be either a complete wipe (not recommended), reparitioning (if you have Partition Magic) or some other method (Knoppix live-boot CD, etc). It would be a pain to swap everything out only to find a few really important things are still needed. Since we cannot know everything that you do on your machine we cannot say with any certainty that what you have can be handled under Linux.

My personal experience, though, is that for most home and basic productivity needs Linux and the Debian distribution specifically, works quite well.