Re: Full replacement of MS

On Mon 29 November 2004 14:20, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 05:36 -0800, ken keanon wrote:
> > Or should I carry out a
> > MS Backup of all these data to a CD-RW and use it for the
> > conversion under LInux? Would like to hear from you.
>
> Well, one problem is that the MS Backup format is not portable.

Ken,

I just want to reemphasise Ron's statement. Do not backup with MS
Backup, since you cannot get at it in Linux. In fact, if you use it in
Windows for backing up make sure you can actually open the backup file
(.qic) before doing anything else. Speaking from experience, I have
somewhere a 700MB .qic that I cannot access even in Windows that I made
before wiping that partition. Luckily I had moved most of the important
stuff to other Windows partitions or to my Linux partitions but it was
still disheartening to have lost what I did.

You're far better off to burn a score of CDs than rely on MS Backup.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

Noone isn't no one