Re: Full replacement of MS

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:38:12PM -0600, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:

> ken keanon <kenkeanon@yahoo.com> wrote the folowing:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm still toying with the idea of fully replacing Windows w Debian
> GNU/Linux.
> The doubt I am still having is this: will I be able to use all the data
> that I
> had created under Windows, those documents, emails, images, audios and
> videos?
List out your major Windows applications on a piece of paper.

Check if any of them produce weird output formats - Microsoft Publisher
is one such, Microsoft Access database another.

Check if you have any games/apps which are a MS Windows must have. I have
children's games for my daughter and the Childrens Encyclopedia
Britannica.
> Anyone has done a complete and successful conversion? Will I have to
> start-off
> with a dual-OS system and do the conversion via the HD?  Or should I carry
> out
> a MS Backup of all these data to a CD-RW and use it for the conversion
> under
> LInux? Would like to hear from you.
I've used Linux virtually exclusively for ten years. About the only
thing I currently use MS Windows for is listening to the BBC, which uses
Real Player output.  If you can install a second (larger) hard drive,
put Linux on that and run dual boot for a while. Once you decide you no
longer need MS Windows, you can always format the first hard disk and use
it as a data store.
> Cheers
>
> Ken

> I have a dual OS system with Windows 98SE and Debian GNU/Linux.  I put
> woody on a second hard drive.  Since woody can mount a FAT32 filesystem,
> getting to the Windows hard drive is convenient.
This is not a bad way to do this, though at this point, I'd look to use
Sarge (currently the Debian testing distribution but to be released as
stable soon now.)

HTH,

Andy