Full replacement of MS

ken keanon <kenkeanon@yahoo.com> wrote the folowing:

Hi,

I'm still toying with the idea of fully replacing Windows w Debian
GNU/Linux.
The doubt I am still having is this: will I be able to use all the data
that I
had created under Windows, those documents, emails, images, audios and
videos?
Anyone has done a complete and successful conversion? Will I have to
start-off
with a dual-OS system and do the conversion via the HD?  Or should I carry
out
a MS Backup of all these data to a CD-RW and use it for the conversion
under
LInux? Would like to hear from you.

Cheers

Ken

------------------  end of quote  ---------------

I have a dual OS system with Windows 98SE and Debian GNU/Linux.  I put
woody on a second hard drive.  Since woody can mount a FAT32 filesystem,
getting to the Windows hard drive is convenient.

Others on the list have Windows XP with the NTFS system.  Since Linux does
not yet appear to have reliable access to that system, a number of them
appear to have created an FAT32 partition on their system that lets Linux
and Windows have a common access area.

I use LILO to give me a menu at boot to select either OS.  For the
convenience of my wife, it defaults to Windows at present.  But that may
change as she gets used to Linux!  B-)

HTH,
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless